US regulator seeks court nod to email summons to Gautam Adani in alleged fraud case   - pravasisamwad
January 27, 2026
1 min read

US regulator seeks court nod to email summons to Gautam Adani in alleged fraud case  

by

The case is being closely watched, given its potential implications for cross-border legal cooperation and the global operations of Indian conglomerates

PRAVASISAMWAD.COM

The United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has approached a US court seeking permission to send legal summons directly by email to Indian billionaire Gautam Adani and Adani Group executive Sagar Adani. This move comes after earlier attempts to serve the summons through official channels in India were unsuccessful, according to a Reuters report published on the Times of India website.

The summons are linked to allegations of fraud and an alleged bribery scheme worth $265 million. The SEC has been trying to serve these summons since last year, making this one of the most high-profile legal cases in the US involving an Indian business group.

In its latest filing dated January 21, the SEC told a New York court that it does not expect the summons to be delivered through the existing process. As a result, it has requested permission to serve the documents directly via email to the two executives.

  • The US regulator said India had earlier declined two requests to serve the summons

  • According to the SEC, these refusals were based on procedural issues, including signature and seal requirements

  • The regulator argued that such requirements do not apply when serving individuals in another country under international agreements such as the Hague Convention

In its second rejection, issued in December last year, India’s law ministry reportedly questioned whether the SEC had the authority to request the service of summons in this manner. The ministry has previously maintained that the matter is a legal issue between private entities and the United States government. It has not yet responded to the latest request for comment.

The Adani Group has firmly denied the allegations, calling them “baseless”. The group has stated that it will pursue all available legal options to defend itself. It did not immediately comment on the SEC’s latest court filing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Story

Canada reaches out to Indian talent with new education and research partnerships

Next Story

Muanpuii Saiawi appointed India’s High Commissioner to New Zealand  

Latest from Blog

Go toTop